do i have to pay child support if i lose my jobIn this difficult economy, many New Hampshire residents who pay child support have lost their jobs.  If you have become unemployed and were previously ordered to pay child support, you unfortunately cannot just “stop paying” because you no longer have employment income.  To remedy this situation, you will need a “modification” to your child support – which will allow you to legally change the terms of your child support obligation.  Losing a job isn’t easy.  But taking the right steps and bringing a family law attorney on board to help you reduce your child support obligation is critical.  If you live in New Hampshire and have lost your job, outlined below are the four steps unemployed New Hampshire moms and dads should take to get a child support “modification.”

How to Change Child Support if You Lost Your Job – Step 1: 

Schedule a meeting with a trusted and experienced divorce attorney.  Explain your reasons for seeking a child support modification.  Ask the divorce lawyer the likelihood of the court granting the change you want.

How to Change Child Support if You Lost Your Job – Step 2: 

If the divorce attorney advises you to go forward with the child support modification and you feel comfortable with that lawyer’s approach, hire him or her to represent you.  The attorney will draft and file a “Petition to Change Court Order” with the New Hampshire Circuit Court – Family Division based on where you reside.  Circuit Court locations include Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Goffstown, Merrimack, Hooksett, Franklin, Hillsborough, Derry, Brentwood, and Salem.  The court will process the Petition and notify both parents of a hearing date.

How to Change Child Support if You Lost Your Job – Step 3:

Meet with your divorce attorney to help prepare for the child support hearing.  Prior to the hearing, your attorney will receive financial documents from “the other side” that will help both of you prepare.  As always, the more transparent you can be in sharing all documentation and evidence with your family law attorney, the better you will position yourself to have your most successful outcome.

How to Change Child Support if You Lost Your Job – Step 4: 

Attend the child support hearing with your lawyer.  What should you expect to happen in court?  Typically, your attorney will have about 15 minutes to present to the court your proposal for changing child support.  Your attorney will outline the explicit reasons and justifications for why you need your previous child support order “modified.”  If you are successfully able to support your request with evidence and financial documents, the judge will modify the terms of your child support.  Upon conclusion, you will receive a new child support order issued by the court within weeks (and if the court is backed up perhaps months) after the hearing.

For immediate expert feedback (and a confidential perspective about your situation), please contact Attorney Grabler directly at (603) 669-2933. The call is free. She will help assess the specifics of your case. She will recommend the best course of action. Prefer email? Write to her: here.


This FAQ brought to you by Attorney Edrea M. Grabler of Family Law New Hampshire.
Manchester, NH divorce lawyer Edrea M. Grabler helps New Hampshire families in divorce, custody and property cases. Whether you’re getting divorced in Manchester, Nashua, Concord or in any city in the State of New Hampshire, Attorney Edrea M. Grabler is a lawyer who helps divorce clients get the custody, property and way of life they deserve. Are you considering divorce? Do you need changes or “modifications” to your divorce? Do you have a specific question about divorce — perhaps alimony, custody or property? Whether you’re just beginning to think about getting a divorce or you need to hire a divorce lawyer immediately, pick up the phone and call Edrea M. Grabler at Family Law New Hampshire for a free consultation. Attorney Edrea M. Grabler has over 20 years experience in helping fathers, mothers and families obtain their best possible custody, property and financial outcomes in New Hampshire divorce cases.