how to get visitation rights for grandparents

For many New Hampshire children, grandparents play a crucial role in their lives – providing love, care, comfort, guidance, and at times stability and security.  However, some New Hampshire grandparents find themselves in the unfortunate position of being denied contact with their grandkids.  Sometimes this happens because the parents are getting divorced, and one parent views the grandparents as aligned with the soon-to-be-ex.  If your grandchildren’s mother (or father) isn’t allowing you to see your grandchildren, you should know that in New Hampshire you do have rights as a grandparent.  However, these rights are limited – they only apply to grandparents whose grandkids are not living in a nuclear family (with both parents) – because of divorce or legal separation, because the parents are unmarried, because one parent has passed away, or because one parent’s parental rights have been terminated.  If you are being denied access to your grandkids and they’re not living in a nuclear family, you should seek the assistance of an experienced New Hampshire family law attorney to discuss your situation.  The lawyer will explain to you that courts consider the following factors in determining whether you should have visitation with your grandkids:

1. Would visitation with your grandkids be in their best interest?

 2. Would visitation interfere with the kids’ relationship with their parents or with parental authority over the kids?

3. How close are your grandchildren to you?  How often did they visit with you?  Are they safe with you?

4. What is your relationship with the parent that is resisting visitation?  Is there friction between the two of you and if so, how would visits with you impact the kids?

5. What caused the children to be living with only one parent – divorce, legal separation, death, termination of parental rights?

If the family law attorney believes your rights as a grandparent are being unreasonably restricted based on New Hampshire law, the lawyer will file a Petition for Grandparent Rights with the New Hampshire Circuit Court – Family Division.  Circuit Court locations include Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Goffstown, Merrimack, Hooksett, Franklin, Hillsborough, Derry, Brentwood, and Salem.

For immediate expert feedback (and a confidential perspective about your situation), please contact Attorney Grabler directly at (603) 669-2933. The call is free. She will help assess the specifics of your case. She will recommend the best course of action. Prefer email? Write to her: here.


This FAQ brought to you by Attorney Edrea M. Grabler of Family Law New Hampshire.
Manchester, NH divorce lawyer Edrea M. Grabler helps New Hampshire families in divorce, custody and property cases. Whether you’re getting divorced in Manchester, Nashua, Concord or in any city in the State of New Hampshire, Attorney Edrea M. Grabler is a lawyer who helps divorce clients get the custody, property and way of life they deserve. Are you considering divorce? Do you need changes or “modifications” to your divorce? Do you have a specific question about divorce — perhaps alimony, custody or property? Whether you’re just beginning to think about getting a divorce or you need to hire a divorce lawyer immediately, pick up the phone and call Edrea M. Grabler at Family Law New Hampshire for a free consultation. Attorney Edrea M. Grabler has over 20 years experience in helping fathers, mothers and families obtain their best possible custody, property and financial outcomes in New Hampshire divorce cases.